Aloha Friday: I Kona

Ledward Kaapana plays James Kelepolo's I Kona, about the Big Island's leeward coast.

I Kona - by James Kelepolo (1864-1945)


 
Aia i Kona kai ʻōpua i ka laʻi
ʻAʻohe lua e like ai me ʻoe

Malihini mākou iā ʻoe i Kona
I ke kono a ke aloha no mākou

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana
ʻAʻohe lua e like ai me ʻoe
There at Kona are the cloud banks and calm seas
Second to none, you are incomparable

We are your guests in Kona
By invitation, with love for us

Tell the refrain
Second to none, you are incomparable
Source: Recorded by Ledward Kaapana and the new I Kona, Researched by Hinauluohia
Aia i Kona ka ʻāina aloha
He ʻāina poina ʻole no mākou

Malihini mākou iā ʻoe i Kona
I ke kono a ke aloha e kamaʻāina
Mea ʻole e ka loa e ke aloha
I ke kono a ke aloha pumehana
Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana
ʻAʻohe lua e like ai me ʻoe
There at Kona is the beloved land
An unforgettable land for us

We were newcomers to you in Kona
By the invitation of love to take residency

The distance is nothing due to loveBy the invitation of warm affection
The story is told
There is no other like you

Source: Bishop Museum - Composed in 1929, the lyrics were given to George Naope by James Kelepolo in the early 1980s. The mele expresses the composer's love for Kona on the Island of Hawaiʻi and the reason he moved there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Risks for impaired post-stroke cognitive function

In a printed posted to the medRxiv preprint archive this month, I found a chart review of patients with stroke to determine factors (other t...